Friday 1 August 2014

KEITH NIXON - DREAM LAND


Synopsis/blurb…..

DREAM LAND, Konstantin’s first 48 hours in Margate. Neither will be the same again. 

From the author of best-selling THE FIX, comes an introduction to Konstantin Boryakov, the enigmatic tramp who claims to be ex-KGB and in hiding. A man with a dark past and a darker future. 

Konstantin has just arrived in the UK, Margate to be specific, having escaped persecution by the authorities in his own country. The second he steps out of a car he gets into trouble, targeted by local villain Dave the Rave. But Dave chose the wrong man to pick a fight with… 

Another new to me author and another shortish blast of some UK grit. We have an interesting setting – Margate, a coastal town; tired and past it’s sell by date. Interesting for me personally, as my wife and her family used to spend their summer holidays there during the late 60’s and 70’s. I went with her for a break there in the 80’s – nostalgia rules, ok; and the year before last as well for a night. We won’t be returning – sad really.

Konstantin is a bit of a mystery. Intriguing and capable, but as yet Nixon only gives us snippets about the Russian with a troubled history. In his fiery dealings with some local dead-beats, Konstantin proves himself more than able to handle the low-life scum and he exhibits a kind heart to boot. What exactly is going on with his daughter? Hopefully I will find out in future installments.

Definitely a character I’m going to get better acquainted with in the future. Nixon has a few more novellas featuring the Russian that precede his full-length novel The Fix.

Plastic Fantastic and Fat Gary are next up before The Fix. How could anyone pass up the chance to read something titled Fat Gary?    

All of his stuff is readily available over on Amazon – well worth a look in my opinion.

4 from 5

Keith Nixon’s website/blog is here.


Bought on Amazon UK recently 

12 comments:

  1. Col - The Margate setting does sound nicely-drawn. I know exactly the sort of place it must be; been to a few myself. And the story sounds like a nice bit of noir, too. Glad you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot thanks. Looking forward to more by Keith.

      Delete
  2. Well Col, here's another one for my "want to read" list. It's interesting that most of what you spotlight has such striking cover art (like this one). "Fat Gary" is a great book and character name. Reminds me of the movie "Snatch" with "Bullet Tooth Tony" and "Boris the Blade".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're tempted Glen. You've a better memory than me regarding Snatch and the characters! Fat Gary cracks me up, not least because I work with a Gary and can't picture him being called anything other than FG now!

      Delete
  3. Your titles and character names are certainly A1 at the moment, though again that's probably as far as it will go for me. But I can see this would be right up your street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Moira, look out more of the same, as I want to get a couple of the others read also!

      Delete
  4. Col, this sounds like another racy thriller. I assume novels like these have more dialogue and less description of people and places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... I don't think he neglects the setting, as it was one of the best features for me, particularly with my wife's connection to the town. He's a skilled writer and I'd say the balance in the writing is about right.

      Delete
  5. I was trying to resist but I admit you have me intrigued. Will have to wait and see if Glen tries these or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully Glen tries and enjoys, then it will be your turn!

      Delete
    2. Glen has purchased it, so there is a good chance I will try it too.

      Delete